Sunday, August 27, 2006

I Know, I Know
Ok, so rejoicing at someone's death may not be the nicest or most politically correct thing to do. But the man was a terrorist and an impediment to the advancement of the Balochi people. I say our country is better off without him.

My only concern is obviously the reaction to his death. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be viewed as a martyr. There were
riots in Balochistan and in Karachi last night and I expect more of the same today, though a curfew has been put in place in Quetta for now. The next seven days in my opinion are crucial. If the government doesn't handle this adroitly, we could be in for a serious crisis. Given Musharraf's track record over the last few years, I'm not going to hold my breath.

1 comment:

AKS said...

FOrget the impact on the country , at the very least the people who he was meant to represents, his kinsman, should beneift. SAy what you will about Nawaz SHarif or the MQM or Benazir, at the very least they did something for their own people; he put his in private jail. This graduate of Aitchson and Oxford closed down schools and colleges in his area because it gave the peasants 'the wrong idea'; probably the idea that they weren't in fact slaves! So I feel no pain in disrespecting the dead when the dead happen to be utter bastards.

Not really sure how its going to pan out, just a week ago a jirga in Dera Bugti called for an end to the 'sardari system' thereby ending the rule of Akbar Bugti. At the same time I doubt if someone as insecure as Bugti would've groomed a successor, so there shouldnt really be anyone carrying on bugti's fight. A fight over who gets to fill the power vaccuum is a whole different story.