Friday, March 09, 2007

Sledging

It's one of the reasons I love cricket. And cricket's bloody well suited to it. I mean, try to imagine another sport in which (a) players are within talking/hearing distance of each other (unlike, say, tennis); (b) there are repeated and regular breaks between each "play" of action (after every ball there's essentially a 30-second timeout, for God's sake); and (c) the game is just unclean enough for insults to be flying around (unlike golf where you're more likely to see women given membership to Augusta than a guy trash talking his opponent).

Anyways, I've always, always, ALWAYS wanted to know what the hell Ramnaresh Sarwan said to Glenn McGrath a few years ago that pissed him off so much (remember all the finger wagging and bluster?). Well, thanks to a little bit of free time and this blog on the website for The Australian, I finally found it. (Caution: really rude and inappropriate comment coming up)

McGrath: So tell me, what does Brian Lara's dick taste like?
Sarwan: I don't know. Ask your wife.

McGrath's wife, you will recall, was recovering from cancer at the time.

Some of my other favourites are:

McGrath (to Eddo Brandes): Why are you so fucking fat?
Brandes: Because every time I fuck your mother, she gives me a biscuit.

Warne (to Cullinan, who literally was forced to see a shrink because of Warne's hold on him): Let's see if we can't get you back on the couch, then.

Sangakarra to Pollock: No need for me to transcribe it, watch it yourself on Youtube.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, sorry for using your blog as away of getting in touch with Ali, but I can't seem to reach him via email.
Just wanted to say-Happy Paddy's day!
Also Ireland somehow beat Pakistan in a game that noone understands in Ireland and even less people play. Ali I really wish you here right now!Hope your well and enjoying yourself.
Fiona