Friday, December 14, 2007

Quotes Of The Day (Nutty Pervez Edition)

You know you're guaranteed some doozies when the Washington Post has a 5 page interview with Pervez Musharraf. What follow are the highlights of a truly remarkable sit-down.

Q. Will the judges be restored to their prior positions?

A. No, not at all. What judges? Why should they be restored? New judges are there. They will never be restored.

Q. People in the West will have a hard time understanding that.

A. Let them not understand. They should come to Pakistan and understand Pakistan.


And

Q. Then why are you now clamping down on the media? You seem far more angry now than ever before.

A. I think you are right. [Laughs] Why don't you understand? Am I a madman? Have I suddenly changed? Am I a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?


And

Q. But didn't you promise the U.S. last summer that you'd lift the ban on that [a third term for Prime Ministers]?

A. No, I haven't given any such promises. We did talk about it, but there were many things that we talked about which have been violated . . .

Q. And you feel you could work with her [Benazir Bhutto]?

A. I think so. I am not such an unpleasant person.

No comments: