Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Links For Wednesday

Stuff to read:

Read these names and tell me what you think they have in common: Virginia Woolf, James Joyce, Marcel Proust, Nabokov, Mark Twain, Leo Tolstoy, Chekhov, Kafka, D.H. Lawrence, George Orwell, and Ralph Ellison. That's right, none of them ever won the Nobel Prize in literature, despite it being instituted before each of them died. (Via Slog)

Priorities for Australians: Beer > Children. (Courtesy Nikhil)

Rich hedge funders complaining that even richer Russian oligarch is building a mansion that makes their mansions look small. All together now: Awwwww. (Courtesy the WTB)

You want to know how close the Hornets-Spurs series was? After 7 games, they ended up with the exact same number of points: 645. In another NBA stuff, here's a great column on Pop and the Spurs. I don't believe it's come to this, but I'm actually going to have to support them in the Conference Finals. Anyone but Kobe and the Lakers.

Javier Bardem is an incredibly lucky man. I now hate him with all my heart.

More machinations in Pakistani politics. You know, if our leaders were half as clever in practicing leadership as they are in practicing politics, we might be somewhere. I mean, just think about how much time, energy, and brainpower has gone into some of these "solutions" to the judiciary issue. If you step back for a second and take it all in, it really is incredible.

Fareed Zakaria weighs in on the whole "appeaser" controversy. Speaking of which, if you haven't already seen this video, please do so.

It's good to see the Indian leadership engaging with the civilian leadership in Pakistan. For long, many of us feared that only the military was capable of delivering good relations with India - mainly because the military wouldn't allow anyone else to do so. One hopes that that is no longer the case.

Good night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude you're supporting S.A? I can't bring myself to support anyone. I hate the spurs, I hate Kobe, I hate all Boston teams, and I fuckin hate the pistons. But I guess these are the 4 best teams in the league so it was always going to come down to this.


Btw Garnett is a Chelsea fan so I might just have to support the celtics.

Ahsan said...

At the end of the day, you have to make choices. Lesser of two evils and all that. This is harder than the '06 Finals (Miami-Dallas). I'm even more torn in the East, where my natural inclination is to go with the underdog (Detroit) but I really would like to see KG win. Though the Chelsea bit may help in that regard.

Anonymous said...

dude. the hardball video made my day.

you should also hate javier bardem because he is ridiculously fucking hot. i highly recommend "before night falls" if you haven't seen it already.

Ahsan said...

There is a historical precedent here: Antonio Banderas. In the 90s, this choot was being paid to simulate wild, erotic sex with the likes of Angelina Jolie (Original Sin) and Rebecca Romijn Stamos (Femme Fatale). He was also thought of as "hot". Furthermore, he was also Hispanic. Javier Bardem is the new Antonio Banderas, and I hate them both.

Anonymous said...

major difference: bardem can act. also, you forgot to mention banderas-hayek in desperado.

Ahsan said...

What do you mean? Are you trying to tell me you weren't completely blown away by Banderas' performance in "Philadelphia"? Hahahahaa. Watching Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas play a gay couple was like Roger Federer play doubles with my fat maulana neighbor from the 90s.

Good catch with regards to "Desperado". Completely forgot about that one.

Anonymous said...

i agree with asad. part of why bardem is hot has to do with how well he can act in extremely dissimilar roles. banderas on the other hand, as you pointed out, stuck to the "look at me i'm exotic, hot, and have an accent" bit which isn't interesting at all. you can hate him, but you should hate him less.