Thursday, October 30, 2008

John McCain's Scary Manichean Worldview

One of the worst things about George W. Bush's presidency - and yes, there's a lot of competition there - is the reduction of complex questions and situations into highly simplistic good vs. evil caricatures. In that respect, John McCain would actually be four more years of the Bush administration. Check out this tidbit from George Will's column:
McCain has a history of reducing controversies to cartoons. A Republican financial expert recalls attending a dinner with McCain for the purpose of discussing with him domestic and international financial complexities that clearly did not fascinate the senator. As the dinner ended, McCain's question for his briefer was: "So, who is the villain?"

That's legitimately scary.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lot doing predictions?

Ahsan said...

After the third debate a couple of weeks ago, I said this race was done. I'm sticking by my assessment.

Asfandyar said...

No I meant electoral college predictions...

Some people are know are 'betting' that Obama might break the 400 barrier :|

AKS said...

I've got a terrible feeling about this election.

There's part of me, a really sadistic part, that wants Obama to lose and watch all hell break lose.

Ahsan said...

Asfand:

400? Highly unlikely, if not impossible. He'll get around 330-340 in my view. I think - and take this prediction with a grain of salt - he'll get the following states:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
DC
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia
Washington

Mind you, I'm being conservative here in not giving him ANY of Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Montana or North Dakota. That said, 400 is almost impossible.

Anonymous said...

You're going for the election being closer than I am :D

I'm handing him 376-162. But i'm not being conservative :\

According to realclearpolitics, they've chucked Arizona into the toss up pile too.

I think he'll take Missouri and Indiana.

AKS: Obama losing will result in all hell breaking loose, but don't you want the massive blame game and in-fighting that'll take place in the GOP if McCain loses? Palin's already trying to eke out a role for herself, I can't wait for her to be torn to shreds after this election is over :D