Sunday, March 22, 2009

Some Plugs

Since I don't feel like putting any of my own thoughts today, I thought I would direct you to other people's production.

Regular reader Wasay has started the "Maila Times" with a friend of his at college. It's modeled on The Onion, except it focuses on Pakistan. The problem, of course, is that reality in Pakistan is ridiculous enough without satire. Despite these obstacles, they are bravely soldiering on. Check it out.

We got an email from the people over at the Brave New Foundation, telling us about their new documentary "Rethink Afghanistan" (it's the same crew responsible for "Outfoxed"). It's a two part documentary and the second part focuses in large part on Pakistan. Here's the trailer:



You can watch the entire piece on their website, as well as sign a petition calling for more congressional oversight hearings on the U.S.'s war in Afghanistan. Check it out.

A friend of mine from high school wrote this story for NYU's Street Level magazine, which runs the best pieces from undergrad journalism students. The story is about Pakistani women running small businesses in Brooklyn. Of course, Anam has now moved on to bigger and better things: writing about fashion, entertainment and the rich and elite of New York -- which, frankly speaking, is all I care about in the world.

There were a couple of other plugs I had to make but Dodgeball is on TV so I'm going now. Happy weekend.

UPDATE: One of the other things I wanted to mention is this blog devoted to FC Barcelona, for the Barca fans out there. Pretty comprehensive (previews and reviews for all the games, plus some good if biased comments) so check it out.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The last thing I wanted to mention was Fuck My Life. I think most people already know about this, but for those who don't, let me tell you: it's the best time-waster in the world. I challenge you to spend less than half an hour on it the first time you visit. It's bloody hilarious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Thanks for the shoutout Ahsan!

Anonymous said...

wow, maila times is unfunny to the point of sadness. you guys usually have good taste. whats this lapse fiverupees?

Ahsan said...

Anon738:

Nabeel, is that you?

Anonymous said...

no, just a regular, (usually) silent reader.

Anonymous said...

Dude-

FML is amazing. It's the best way to procrastinate at work. This is my fave for people who read Twilight:

"Today my girlfriend dumped me proclaiming she wanted someone more like her "Edward". I asked her who Edward was. She held up a copy her "Twilight" book. She was talking about a fictional vampire. FML