Monday, June 22, 2009

Hey, Obama, Did You Learn How To Say "Pander" In Urdu Too?

You've got to love Barry O. Check out this in-depth interview of the US president by Dawn, the first interview by a Pakistani news organization of an American president. As usual, he strikes all the right chords, and is respectful and conciliatory and careful in his language. But then there's this:

‘I would love to visit. As you know, I had Pakistani roommates in college who were very close friends of mine. I went to visit them when I was still in college; was in Karachi and went to Hyderabad. Their mothers taught me to cook,’ said Mr Obama.


‘What can you cook?’


‘Oh, keema … daal … You name it, I can cook it. And so I have a great affinity for Pakistani culture and the great Urdu poets.’


‘You read Urdu poetry?’


‘Absolutely. So my hope is that I’m going to have an opportunity at some point to visit Pakistan,’ said Mr Obama.


First of all, any idiot can cook daal -- hell, even I manage to do it, and let me tell you, I'm an awful cook (I once tried to cook chicken karahi and it ended up looking like, no joke, Chinese stir fry).


Second, please stop. Enough already. We get it. You respect everyone. You can connect with everyone. Your melange of childhood and adolescent experiences that bring together issues of race, class, education, nationalism, religion, indeed the meaning of life itself -- we get it: you understand everything at a deeper level. Stop making us feel like lesser beings all the time. And stop pandering, it's getting annoying.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hate Obama
dont like listening to him

y do people keep on getting fooled
he is a zionist

that was the whole point of Israeli attack earlier this year
-anon-
[not so anon]

pat1755 said...

Sorry, can't agree with you - after 12 years of Bush the buffoon (I had him as governor before he was Prez), I am still relishing Obama.

Ahsan said...

Anon711:

Don't really understand your comment, to be honest. Care to elaborate?

Pat:

Haha, poor you. No, it's a fair comment. I've especially liked his measured and non-ideological response to what's happening in Iran right now. I shudder to imagine what John McCain or *gulp* Sarah Palin would be doing under the same circumstances.

Scaliper said...

ok your making a daal is no big deal i agree
but a person who doesn't belong to your culture to say that is "showing" respect
all those who would now remind me that he is no friend of pakistan please notice the apostrophes around showing
he showed respect stop whinning about it we (pakistanis) suffer from an image problem if you have noticed.
let it improve a little please and if it still bothers you change the channel or close the window whatever suits you

bayeeman said...

cooking daal is easy? i can't get my mind around that one ... why does my daal always end up looking like excrescence?

SZM said...

What a great interview. Why didn't he ask Obama what his favorite song was?

Anonymous said...

He would have probably said 'Dil Dil Pakistan'

FZ said...

you may be annoyed but you aren't the guys he needs to win over...dude on the street may still find this stuff reassuring even if he knows there's a little pandering going on...

R Malik said...

Leave him be Ahsan. It's all part of his 'Disaster recovery' approach.

Bush was a dick y'know.

Xeb said...

The day Obama got elected and he gave his presidential address was the day I realized he wasn't just a good candidate, he was a GREAT candidate. It was also the day I realized that my most potent emotion when I look at Obama is solid-green envy. Because Amreeka (despite everything the country has done) has Obama and we have Zardari. The comparison annoys me enough to - frequently - get annoyed by Obama too. I recognize it as the phenomenon widely known as the 'Sour Grapes Syndrome'

Butters said...

You sound jealous.

Majaz said...

I agree with Butters.

You're now turning into a hapless cynic.

Anonymous said...

haha, no better way to show a country respect than to pander to its elite while you blow up its poor...

lock n' load boys, lock n' load.

stumblingmystic said...

I can't make daal. :-P

hemlock said...

sorry, cant make daal.