Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Top Five International Relations Journal Article Titles

I don't know why I'm making this list, but I just felt like it. Hereunder are the top five IR article titles. The extremely unscientific process in narrowing it down to these five involved judging (a) how out-there the title is, (b) how much unintentional comedy is contained in the title, and (c) to what extent the title tells you all you need to know about the article. Please understand this list just refers to the titles; by no stretch are these my favorite articles (except for Wendt's).

1. "Brother, Can You Spare a Paradigm? (Or Was Anybody Ever a Realist?)" by Peter D. Feaver et al (2000). International Security 25:1.

2. "I Exist; Therefore I Deter" by Lawrence Freedman (1988). International Security 13:1.

3. "Anarchy is what states make of it: The social construction of power politics" by Alexander Wendt (1992). International Organization 46:2.

4. "Kant or Cant: The Myth of the Democratic Peace" by Christopher Layne (1994). International Security 19:2.

5. "Chain gangs and passed bucks: Predicting alliance patterns in multipolarity" by Thomas J. Christensen and Jack Snyder (1990). International Organization 44:2.

Now that I look at that list, I'm pissed off that the entire thing comes from just two journals. But whatever.

4 comments:

Ribosome said...

I founds some gems from NCBI:

Bust size and hitchhiking: a field study

Sexy ladies sexing ladies: women as consumers in strip clubs

Spontaneous pneumothorax, pneumomediastinum, and pneumopericardium in a 16-year-old drug-abusing motorcyclist surrounded by a pack of coyotes.

Does garlic protect against vampires? An experimental study.

Sputnik said...

Nice.

I think you stole all the best ones.

I'll just add "Two Dismal Sciences are Better than One: Economics and the Study of National Security" and "Blasts from the Past: Proliferation Lessons from the 1960s"

Ahsan said...

I forgot Rigor or Rigor Mortis by Walt.

Gene Gerzhoy said...

As much as I dislike it, Gholz, Eugene, Daryl G. Press, and Harvey M. Sapolsky, “Come Home, America: The Strategy of Restraint in the Face of Temptation,” IS 21, 4

I always thought Dave Edelstein's "Occupational Hazards" was clever.

And my favorite, Andy Kydd, “Sheep in Sheep’s Clothing: Why Security Seekers Do Not Fight Each Other,” Security Studies 7,1