Sunday, December 27, 2009

Kicking Donatello Out Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

That's what Yglesias wants to do:

My family took me to the Met a bunch when I was a kid. I’ve been to pretty much all of Western Europe’s super-obvious famous museums. And it’s just clear that Donatello doesn’t have the star power of the other three.

My suggestion as a replacement turtle would be Titian. He doesn’t quite have the blockbuster appeal of the other three, but no one does, and I think he comes closest. I also think he chronologically matches the other better. I suppose the counterargument would be that he’s Venetian and the others are Florentine, but it’s all Italy to the kids.

My biggest problem with the Ninja Turtles was that Shredder never, ever, EVER won. Even as a kid, I always had a soft spot for the underdog, even if they were the bad guy. Why can't they let the bad guy win sometimes? He'll get his ass kicked in the next episode anyway, so it doesn't actually mean anything. I mean, even Tom got some good shots in at the rat Jerry, so why can't Shredder ever come out on top?

7 comments:

mcphisto said...

Actually shredder was a cunning and a half-decent fighter who usually put it across krang sometimes.

who i really felt for was rocksteady and beebop. they were really poor fellows who need all the sympathy.

anybody remember silver hawks ?

takhalus said...

oh yeah Silver hawks..I prefer the older stuff. Anyone remember Robotix or inhumanoids ..God that was dark

Brett said...

You could argue that Shredder has had a bunch of smaller victories. He managed to build up his organization, after all, and despite the Turtles' interference he remains active and strong.

Ahsan said...

Yeah, I completely forgot about Beebop and Rocksteady. And their names make both more and less sense now than they did when I was a kid.

Brett, are you trying to say something? We don't like allegories here on Rs.5, they're much too confusing!

Naqiya said...

this kid doesnt know what hes talking about. the turtles were named after "Renaissance" men (ie.e: could do multiple things exceedingly well), and clearly everyone knows all titian ever did was paint. he was a great painter, but he didnt do much else. the others, including donatello were known for being great at many things.

plus! wrong time period. these guys were all producing like 50+ years before titian. so no.

also, thunder cats anyone??

Ahsan said...

Look at Naqiya, trying to show off her artsy knowledge. Listen up, Naqiya. We don't like your types around here. This is a plebeian blog. Go sip your mocha lattes somewhere else.

Khalid said...

Jerry preferred mouse to rat.