Thursday, February 25, 2010

Quote Of The Day

The Taliban's former ambassador to Islamabad, on how he tried to deal with the ISI:
I tried to be not so sweet that I would be eaten whole, and not so bitter that I would be spat out.

What a truly awesome line. Is this some ancient Pashto proverb or something? I'm going to try to use this phrase at least once a day for the foreseeable future; the only problem will be trying to find suitable contexts in which to use it. And if said contexts aren't forthcoming, I'm going to have to invent them. For example:

Random friend: Hey, how are you?

Me: I'm good, what's going on?

Random friend: Not much, just finishing my paper for that conference.

Me: Cool. By the way, I've found that when writing a paper, you should not be so sweet that you will be eaten whole, but also not so bitter that you will be spat out.

That works, doesn't it? By the way, if you're wondering, that poor sod was spat out -- he was arrested and sent to Guantanamo until 2005. You should read the whole article anyway, it's good. As is this chat Steve Coll had with readers after the piece was published.

18 comments:

Omar said...

Dude..there's an oral sex joke in here somewhere...

Sachin said...

how about that innings u punk. i'll give u one last chance to get off laras dick and sit on mine....

Jaydev said...

I tried to be not so sweet that I would be eaten whole, and not so bitter that I would be spat out.
This dialogue was delivered after some ISI guy came and cry in front of him..That line clearly means Taliban has its own "mind"..& agendas..
awesome..one liner though..

JJY said...

So you finally watched the Big Bang Theory, and saw your tv-persona mirror-image?

That's not a compliment.

NB said...

@JJY

Awesome. Im glad to see Im not the only person who made the connection, or the only one to make fun of Ahsan about it.

That said i dont know what to make of the fact that the charachter is said to demonstrate features of aspergers.

Naqiya said...

@JJY and NB:

please guys. everyone knows ahsan exists on a far higher plane

Sputnik said...

I quite like it too, but I feel like you'd have to be an old man to pull off saying something that cryptic in conversation. $5, however, if you drop that line during workshop. $10 if you use it to rebut a point made by a professor.

It also reminds me of an expression I learned in kempo about why you need both hard techniques (punching/kicking) and soft techniques (grappling/holds) to fight well --- To eat, you must crush the food with your hard teeth while holding it in place with your soft lips.

takhalus said...

yeah dude it's a pashto proverb..its one of my favourites.

Ahsan said...

Oba:

So make it then.

Sachin:

Never. Ever.

JJY and NB:

I KNOW I am not that obnoxious. I may have been at one point, but no more. So whatever.

Sputnik:

Haha I was actually trying to come up with scenarios where I would use this at PISP or something. It'll obviously have to be a more security oriented paper rather than a theory oriented paper.

Unknown said...

Ashan,

Is Lara great because Sachin an Indian? Or he broke a Pakistani record?

Ahsan said...

No, Lara is great because Lara is great. And my name is Ahsan, not Ashan.

Smci said...

Today is the Prophet's Birthday (if anybody still believes in that stuff).


So have a good one folks!


Maybe an article about the wonder that is 'Milad' in Pakistan is in the making???

JJY said...

I can see it now. Lollywood's version of india's latest (crap) blockbuster:

My Name Is Butt

Added plus - could also work as vivid video's take on the movie.

Ahsan said...

Nikhil, I can now see a very serious mistake was made in your childhood, when someone must've told you that you were funny. Sadly, the rest of us are forced to live with the fallout from that ill-advised evaluation of your (non-existent) sense of humor.

JJY said...

I think the reason we get along is because the exact same thing happened to you.

Some insidious soul provided you with the misconception that you were good looking.

Ahsan said...

That didn't make any sense. Earlier in this thread, you attempted to be funny, thus my comment. Where, exactly, in this thread did I attempt to be good looking?

Butters said...

Great article, thanks for linking.

JJY said...

Our interactions far exceed this thread. I was just drawing from them. Are you saying you don't consider yourself good looking? If so, I offer my humblest apologies and withdraw my comment with immediate effect.