Monday, June 28, 2010

We're Moving

So a bit of blog news: we're moving.

Over the last few weeks, we/I have been in discussion with the people over at Asian Correspondent, a website which aggregates news, views and blogs with an Asian focus. I've agreed to have our blog hosted on their site for an agreed upon time.

Some questions:

Wait, what? What does this even mean?

Well, functionally all it means is that I blog on Asian Correspondent, so our new address is asiancorrespondent.com/fiverupees. If you've been nice enough to bookmark us, then you can update that. But you don't really have to worry about not being able to find Rs.5, because anyone going to our current URL will be automatically directed to the new one when it goes into effect. RSS feeds should also be redirected, as well as all posts from our archives.

Why is this happening?

I gain in two ways from this. One, I'm being monetarily rewarded, and it's nice to get paid. Two, I get (the promise of) more readers, because, um, AC is a bigger website than we are.

They gain from this because they get the potential of a Leo Messi homage every week. So it's fairly even, and that's why this is happening.

So you sold out, eh? Well done. Seriously, well played.

Look, just because I was bought out doesn't mean I sold out! And besides, I have learned at my time at the University of Chicago that free-market enterprise between two consenting parties is good.

What changes?

The address obviously, and the layout. What we're trying to do is keep as many of our features from here so that the change is as seamless as possible. The blogroll, the archives, the categories, the comments, and so on will stay the same. The basic idea is that I don't want to lose any of our current readers, who add so much to the blog with comments and emails and suggestions, so it's important to keep the basic architecture and familiarity.

The color scheme and the way the blog looks will be different, and will be basically in the hands of AC. I've received enough complaints about our color scheme over the years to understand this is probably a good thing.

And content?

The content is the same. II'll be blogging the exact same way I do now, i.e. badly and increasingly sporadically. Nothing changes on that front. I even retain my right to curse as much as I please. The only thing I am exlpicitly not allowed to do is promote hatred or incite violence, or be defamatory and racist, but remember, Imran Farhat is not a race.

When does this happen?

In the next couple of days, maybe as soon as tomorrow. The move has been a while coming; I've basically been in discussions with Hybrid News/AC for about a month, and with my coming to Pakistan for AKS' wedding and so on, the details of the move have just taken a while to iron out.

Technology is involved, so I'm sure they might be a couple of glitches as we migrate, but I'm also sure that if anything arises, it'll be taken care of fairly quickly. One issue that might come up is the RSS feeds being transferred, so those of you who subscribe to us, please let me know with an email (fiverupeesadmin at googlegroups dot com) if something seems to be off.

17 comments:

takhalus said...

sellout! do we get a cut for posting?

. said...

/I have learned at my time at the University of Chicago that free-market enterprise between two consenting parties is good.
/

umm yeah, look where that got us. Not a good time to cite the Chicago School.

mcphisto said...

as long as you dont stop cursing farhat / malik / and continue with the regular transmission, i say go for the bucks, man!

atleast it wont be a polo disaster ala noori the band.

fatima-ahtesham said...

I agree with Ali K

Kalsoom said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

If only you spent more time writing for this blog less time writing for a mediocre news magazine - I swear I spotted at least 4 glaring errors in the 5 minutes to took me to flip through the first 10 pages of the magazine (your article was fine).

Tan said...

I just hope links will now open in the same window/tab.

Anonymous said...

And I hope links will continue to open in the new window/tab.

Faiza said...

That's good news! You're moving on! Hope it all goes smoothly.

Pablo Kisggernatis said...

If you're completely removing this blog, or even duplicating your posts to them, it is a big mistake, dude.

In the Internet Opinion world, big collaboratives are giving way to individuals getting their own spaces and succeeding.

You've had the first mover advantage with your own established web-space and unique brand that many would kill for! Give it time, money will follow.

You're going backwards. Or is this your way of acknowledging the direction the country has taken too? :-)

Why don't you just take their money and write for them freelance (like you do at Dawn), but keep your bridges intact and keep this blog and keep it alive. You'll thank this comment one day.

Wish you well and hope I'm wrong.

Unknown said...

Very nice .

you can post your content here also....
you can post your classified ads at our website also... Free Classified site, find a job or sell a property, vehicle and many more

ramzan said...

so nice blogger

aman said...

i think you are right ! Peace is directly tied to seeking God and being obedient in faith; it is a gift God gives you.

Rehan Ahmed said...

Online Business as low as $1, Join Now and Get Best Business from Home without any work
AllTimeProfit.com

Unknown said...

Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
Skype : Jobz.Corner

daily updates said...

Nice Post keep updating like this,


Latest govt jobs
exam results 2017
10th result 2017


Unknown said...

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me,you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.
buy Perfectmoney with paypal
Keep Posting:)