Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A quick rejoinder...

By the way, in reference to the Daily Times editorial on Musharraf's nonsense I linked to in this post, I should say I agree with most of it, except for this part:
India’s poverty may be on the decline, but in Pakistan, despite President Musharraf’s success in the economic sector, it may still be on the increase.

Poverty in Pakistan is not on the increase. According to the World Bank, the poverty rate in Pakistan has fallen by 5 percentage points this decade. An editorial in Dawn a couple of days ago, while of course worrying about the future, provided pats on the back.

Correction: In an earlier version of this post, I had said poverty had dropped by 5%, which was misleading, not to mention inaccurate. Poverty has dropped by 5 percentage points, not 5 percent. My bad.

No comments: