Saturday, November 18, 2006

Bald-faced (and unbelievable) lies

We've all told those types of lies. You know, the ones that are so stupid that no one in their right mind would fall for them. One that sticks out in memory for me was when I was about 10 or 11 years old. My maulvi sahab, who used to come 5 days a week, came to our house as usual around 6pm or so. I was NOT in the mood to read the Quran on that day. I had to think of something fast. Instead of going to my parents and/or the maulvi saab and tell them I was sick, I decided that would be too transparent and thought that I should push it up a notch. Why not let them find out for themselves that I was sick? So the maulvi was let in the house and my name was promptly yelled from downstairs, as it always was. However, I didn't respond. Why? Because I was lying on the floor, faking a blackout. Anyways, a few yells went by without my response, so my mom came up to my room and saw me on the floor. She didn't buy it for one second. She said something to the effect of "How dumb do you think I am? Do your wuzu and go downstairs." She didn't even entertain the possibility that I might actually be ill. Guess she knows me too well.

Why do I bring this up? Because a one Mr. Masood Hassan and his missus Shahnaz Parveen had been living illegally in Delhi since 1999, when they entered on 2-month visas. They were found out and have now been sentenced to three years in prison, plus Rs. 2000 fine. What, pray tell, was their defence to the court? This: they were always Indian citizens who had gone to meet Pakistani relatives in Pakistan, somehow lost their Indian passports and so had to return to India with Pakistani passports with Indian visas. Forget visa violations - they should be sentenced to jail for telling the dumbest lie the world has ever seen.

No comments: