Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Microsoft Word = Dumbass

So I'm writing a paper only be given one of those red squiggly lines telling me I've misspelled a word. It turns out, the spelling is completely fine but that Microsoft Word doesn't think "conflictual" is a real word. I shake my head and move on. A couple of paragraphs later, the same thing happens. Again, I check the spelling and again, it's completely fine. Microsoft Word, you see, doesn't think "primitivity" is a word either. This, by the way, from the same program that acknowledges "Chandrasekhar" is a real name (try typing it; it won't give you the red squiggly line). How can you know about "Chandrasekhar" but not "conflictual"? I can only conclude that an Indian with a really bad vocabulary designed the version I'm using.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just add your specialized vocab to the dictionary and quit moaning!

Chandrasekhar's Limit is an important astrophysical constant.

Ahsan said...

interesting...i didn't know one could do that. now i'll probably waste 4 hours figuring out how exactly this works.

Ahsan said...

working on the same paper and ms word gives me another doozy: apparently "projectively" is not a word either.

Ahsan said...

ok this is getting fucking ridiculous. now "argentinian" is not a word; apparently the spelling needs to be i-e-n at the end instead of i-a-n. did ms word suddenly become really fucking stupid in the last 24 hours? what the hell is going on?

Unknown said...

that's kind of wierd. maybe you should delete the dictionary file and start again. (don't just delete it btw, im sure there is a process)

was this always your machine?

Ahsan said...

yup, since jan 2004.

Omar said...

If you type "rockstars" and spellchecker suggests "jockstraps".
That shit is funny dawg.

Anonymous said...

The third button down, between the buttons labelled "Ignore All" and "Change," on the pop-up "Spelling and Grammar" window's right border is labelled "Add" - use that to add currently highlighted word to your dictionary.

All the personal names of my correspondents are added to my dictionary so that my typos are caught by the spell-checker.

Ahsan said...

thanks, anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Lol depending on the context you're using it in Argentinian is not there because there is no such thing. The people of Argentina are referred to as Argentine (trust me i've been corected way too many times by my Argentine friends).

Ahsan said...

i too have always been confused between argentinian and argentine but the point is i have read "argentinian" enough times to convince me that it is a word. note im not talking about the PEOPLE of argentina, i am talking about something from argentina (same as spain: spaniard vs spanish).