Sunday, February 04, 2007

More On Racism

If I didn't think that Herschelle Gibbs saying "Fucking Pakistanis, go back to the zoo" was racist, then I'm certainly not going to think that Joe Biden describing Barack Obama as "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" is racist. Tell you what, though, I can definitely see how it pisses black people off when one of them is described as "articulate". Eugene Robinson definitely was in his column a couple of days ago (pissed, that is, not articulate. Though I guess he was articulate too). As is this the author of this piece in the New York Times. By the way, I love the fact that when Biden called Al Sharpton, among others, to apologize, Sharpton told him that he takes a bath every day. That should have been quote of the day. I also love the fact that Chris Rock, many years ago, had a routine about this very phenomenon (though I think for him, the gripe was "well-spoken", not "articulate"...for whatever it's worth).

No comments: