Sunday, April 13, 2008

MQM v PPP - Hold On To Your Seats

In a bid to hide myself from reality I'd holed myself n my room with a few bags of chips, a book and a few DVDs. Everything was going smoothly till I decided to leave the confines of my room, head over to the lounge and start watching the Man U v Arsenal match. Well I don't care much for this pointless 'sport' and decided to check the news (after watching 88 min of the game). Boy, was my evening about to get a whole lot more fun.

As if stupid Arsenal's stupid loss wasn't enough, Geo was carrying a report on the significance of the appointment of Shoeb Suddle as IG Sindh and its correlationn with MQM's decision to sit in the opposition. Mr. Suddle's professional credentials can not be doubted as he is one of the most experienced police officers of the country and undoubtedly one of the most educated; he has a Bachelors Degree in Law (Punjab), a Masters in Physics (Punjab), a Masters in Criminology (Wales) and a PhD in Criminology specializing in White Collar Crime (Wales). Moreover, Mr. Suddle has extensive cross-agency eexperience; he has worked with the FIA, helped out the NAB and served as Director General of the Intellitgence Bureau. All in all a good CV.

But that's not all. One has to look at the experience segment of Mr. Suddle's CV to realise that something's amiss here. You see, this is not the first time that Mr. Suddle will be serving in Sindh.

Mr. Suddle was appointed by Benazir's notorious Interior Minister Major Gen. (Retd.) Naseerulah Babar as DIG in Karachi and went on to lead the infamous "Operation Clean-Up." (This was a fresh operation in a series of operations that were aimed at ending the MQMs control of Karachi; these crack-downs were extremely violent, both sides being involved in the violence, and had a devastating impact on life in Karachi.) Moreover, Mr. Suddle is a co-accused in the murder of Murtaza Bhutto (interestingly, Mr. Zardari was acquitted in that very case last Wednesday; click here for more).

Let the fun begin.


4 comments:

Ahsan said...

aks:

a minor point. karachi was a war-zone BEFORE operation clean-up. indeed, the preceding violence CAUSED the crackdown. i'm not defending what babar and BB did at all; i'm just clearing up the chronology of events.

AKS said...

I know, I know. I think I was trying to make it sound more dramatic, and in doing so failed to realise the factual inconsistencies of what I was saying. Thanks for pointing it out; I shall rectify the error.

Anonymous said...

Stop adulterating my Rs. 5 feed

Anonymous said...

aks:

are you a lawyer based in pakistan? Am trying to look for someone to interview on reactions to the events last week with niazi (Five Rupees would be attributed of course) for my site, so if you are interested, please let me know! (changinguppakistan@gmail.com)

great job guys,
k