Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama Wins!

I'm sure Ahsan will be up here soon with a post on Barack Obama's historic victory, as soon as he recovers from what was likely a late night in Grant Park, Chicago. In the meantime, here are a collection of some links and videos worth watching:

Firstly, McCains concession speech. If you watch any of these videos, make it these two, and watch the man return to his good senses. After all the talk about Obama's supposed negative 'associations' with Bill Ayers, ACORN and Reverend Wright, he poignantly states that the association that has mattered to him the most has been the one he shared with fellow Americans. When the republican crowd boos Obama's victory, you can't help feel a little sorry for McCain as he pleads for them to stop. The guy really was stuck with the most idiotic of supporters.





And here is Obama's Victory speech in Grant Park. Ahsan will tell it better, but the crowd is just in rapture. CNN has an audio slideshow of the speech that I would recommend more than the videos I have posted below.







John Dickerson from Slate has a glowing breakdown of that speech.

Colin Powell tears up as he speaks on the significance of a President who happens to be African American (Highly Recommended)

And last but not least, the Onion gives its own misquotey perspective:
"Today the American people have made their voices heard, and they have said, 'Things are finally as terrible as we're willing to tolerate," said Obama, addressing a crowd of unemployed, uninsured, and debt-ridden supporters. "To elect a black man, in this country, and at this time—these last eight years must have really broken you."

11 comments:

AKS said...

I hate Scrooge McButt!

Anonymous said...

why is it that your post on obama gets one comment, whereas ahsan's gets 26? so not fair. i think its because he exists on a higher plane

NB said...

It is unfair isnt it? My preceding post on Enuchs received precisely 0 comments. Clearly, my personal readership consists only of AKS, with his pity comments.

Fortunately, the animosity inspired by Ahsans existence on a higher plane does at least permit me some schadenfreude.

Ahsan said...

Please. No one has a lower words/comments ratio on this blog than I do. My lovely little 2000-word pieces on secularism or Shoaib Akhtar or China/Burma don't even get a read, let alone a comment. So whatever.

Ahsan said...

Whoops, preceding comment should read "higher words/comment ratio".

NB said...

What China Burma post? Sounds damn interesting. Almost as interesting as my post on Eunuchs.

Ahsan said...

Your eunuchs post was fucking boring. No wonder it didn't get any comments.

Here's the China/Burma piece, written more than a year ago. You will recognize, no doubt, one of the commenters on that post.

Ahsan said...

Whoops, forgot to paste the link. Here it is:

http://fiverupees.blogspot.com/2007/10/china-burma-and-western-hypocrisy.html

NB said...

Your sincere belief that I desire to read your China/Burma post is quite endearing. Perhaps I will read it after all.

Ahsan said...

Trust me, you'll want to read it - for the identity of one of the commenters if nothing else.

freudianslips said...

@ahsan

oh.my.god! I just read your China/Burma post (okay I'm lying I just skipped to the comments). All I'm going to say is that commenter might just be disguising himself as Jack so as to molest you publicly on your blog! hahaha okay kidding!(that sounded paranoid but with that person you never know...we all know how fake emails, random stories, and fake relationships are his forte. I know these things...like you said he is my "ex-boyfriend" after all!)