Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mini-links For Wednesday

Stuff to help you procrastinate (but not for too long):

Oh, snap! Jagjit Singh lets rip on Adnan Sami Khan:
Jagjit Singh was quoted as saying, "He (Adnan) became a singer by mistake. He had come here to become an actor and by mistake he became a singer. He can't even sing. People like him should be sent back to work there (Pakistan) because they make money in India and send it to Pakistan."

Speaking of "oh, snap" here is a useful flowchart on its correct usage (courtesy Naqiya).

Matthew Yglesias takes aim at the idea that throwing a show at someone is a "deep insult in the Arab world":

Is it possible that there’s a region somewhere where throwing shoes is a compliment?

Oh, God. Javed Miandad has just been given another position, this time as Pakistan's "cricket ambassador to China", this being the rough equivalent to that of Liechtenstein's ambassador to the UN in importance. Why do I get the feeling Miandad will still mess it up? (courtesy Wasay)

Speaking of cricket, the start of the Australia-South Africa series is 16 minutes away as I type this (which means I won't be typing for very much longer). I would like to officially declare Dale Steyn as my new favorite non-Pakistani cricketer, and the official fast bowler of Five Rupees. There's just something about a really quick bowler who's really good that gets the purist's heart racing a little bit. Oh, and by the way, he's about to destroy the Aussies. I give him 25 for the series. You heard it here first.

UPDATE: I would like to clarify that when I call Dale Steyn my favorite non-Pakistani cricketer, I mean from amongst active players. I would never disrespect you like that, Prince Brian.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

screw this Jagjit singh piece of shit. He said the same sort of stuff about Mehdi Hassan as well. He is probably jealous and letting his hostility of everything Pakistani come out in the open.

Anonymous said...

Ahsan: If you find out which channel is showing the cricket do let me know

Ahsan said...

Bubs, I don't know what the hell is going on. I flicked past all my sports channels twice, but it's not on any of them. This is frankly outrageous.

AKS said...

Star Cricket and Super Sports 2 are showing it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just called World Call and they put it on

Omar said...

Argh Ahsan! You've totally jinxed Dale Steyn with this prediciton business. Your prophecies are like the kiss of dea

Ahsan said...

Bubs:

Well done.

Oba:

Please. I make good predictions now. For instance, I predicted that Spain would win Euro '08 despite everyone in the world saying they would underachieve.

Anonymous said...

JAGJIT DOES SUCK I HEARD HIM ONCE LIKE 15 YEARS AGO AND THAT WAS THAT...ANY WAYS AND I AGREE DALE WILL SHINE HE IS AWESOME ALTHOUGH I'LL GIVE HIM 20 AND ARGENTINA TO WIN THE 2010 WORLD CUP OF FUSBALL...THATS RIGHT U HEARD IT FROM PATHAN FIRST....

Anonymous said...

ouch! jagjit is such a bitch!
i think adnan sami really needed that, never really liked him anyway.

Anonymous said...

Jagjit should join the RSS. (He is Hindu right?)

And as for Steyn, I've been in love with him ever since I saw him bowl Sehwag with a pitched on leg and hit middle outswinging beast that people thought only Waqar could do. I think he is the new Waqar, (as Cricinfo originally suggested) and if he stays injury free (I think he will, due to him having a decent, economical action. Something which Waqar sadly didn't have) then the Saffers will finally start to go places.
Good shout on the 25 wickets. I'm officially jumping on yer Dale Steyn bandwagon. Riding shotgun!