Thursday, August 30, 2007

Jinnah's Dead

Well he is and Pakistan needs to move on, if it means going through collective therapy, then so be it.

As it transpires I’ve been visiting government offices / courts quite often now, and I’m absolutely sick of seeing this man looking down on me. Not to mention the ubiquitous mention of his name by all and sundry, be it a politician, a journalist or even a fashion designer, Jinnah’s name somehow pops up everywhere. He wasn’t even that good a ruler, a good leader of the Pakistan movement sure but not of Pakistan itself.

I guess its because he was an “enlightened moderate” and hence someone the ‘silent majority’ of Pakistan could identify with – in fact, so enlightened and moderate was he, that he chose to cut off all ties with his daughter because she married a non-Muslim.

Then again maybe it’s because idol worship is embedded in the genetic memory of Pakistanis, most of whom were forcibly converted to Islam from idol worshiping religions. I of course remain free from the baggage of such a genetic imprint, as unlike these lowlife converts, I’m a Syed and hence a descendant of the Prophet, who to, by the way, was quite the enlightened moderate!

8 comments:

NB said...

"most of whom were forcibly converted to Islam"

I suggest you prepare for incoming flak from everyone. You are classifying as fact that which is pretty debatable, to say the least. I liked the rest of the post though. Reply to the group email too btw.

Ahsan said...

kabir wont get any flak. this is becuase our writing over the last 12 months has driven away all religious/fundo minded readers.

NB said...

Kabir ive urinated all over your effigy. Dont ask why I had your effigy lying around.

Anonymous said...

Whoah, my genetic memory has a portion allocated to idol worship, cool!

Good thing they placed a ban back then on such an imprint evolving so that converted Pakistanis are eternally stuck with the baggage eh?

On a serious note, I do wonder if today's culture of celebrity worship by people around the world links back to a genetically embedded culture of idol worship (whether religious idol or best warrior/leader/explorer idol).

Anonymous said...

riiight...

Ahsan said...

waisay kabir it would really help if you explictly state exactly which parts of your post, if any, are supposed to be facetious. seriously.

NB said...

Acha I assumed all of it was facetious. A classic pint of Kabir's bitterest.

NB said...

Kabir I am now kicking your soggy effigy around my apartment.